Form Type: 
Form Number: 

Travel Handbook Financial Affairs Website Travel Guide Travel Questions FAST-AP FAR Purchasing Updated 8/19/14 Table of Contents Topic Page No. University Travel Policy: Overview 3 Approval of Post Travels 3 Payment of Travel 4 Risk Insurance 4 Transportation 5-8 General 5 Air Travel 5-6 Automobile 7-8 Rail / Bus 8 Ship 8 Other 9 Subsistence 9-11 CONUS (Continental United States) Travel Less than 24 Hours 9 Travel Less than 30 Days 10 Travel 30 Days or Longer 10 OCONUS (Outside Cont. US)& Foreign Travel Travel Less than 30 Days 10 Travel 30 Days or Longer 11 Travel in Excess of One Year 11-12 Miscellaneous Travel Expenses 12 Group Travel 12-13 Faculty Member on Sabbatical Leave 13-14 Student Travel 14 Postdocs & Other Non-degree Candidates 14-15 Prospective Employees 15 Conferences & Workshops – UCSC Hosted 15-16 Spousal Travel 16 Independent Contractors/Consultants 17 Foreign Visitors 17-18 Reporting Expenses 19-20 Reporting Period 19 Reporting Requirements 19 Required Receipts 19-20 Missing required receipts 20 Entertainment while on Travel Status 20 Cash Advances 20-21 Corporate Travel & Entertainment Card 21-22 Connexxus 22 Account Codes 23 University Travel Policy: Overview Only travel expenses that are ordinary and necessary to accomplish the official business purpose of a trip are eligible for reimbursement. These expenses include subsistence (lodging, meals, and incidental expenses), transportation (airfare, private car, rental car, University cars, parking, bridge and road tolls, taxi and other public transportation), registrations, and miscellaneous charges (business expenses, special fees for foreign travel, and other necessary expenses). This booklet is an attempt to give you basic information on the ins and outs of travel. If you have a special circumstance that is not covered here, please contact, for questions on how to process the travel paperwork, or for questions on travel policies. All travel must be authorized, reported, and reimbursed in compliance with BFB G-28 Travel Policy. Contract and grant funds may have additional requirements. Additional restrictions may be implemented by an individual campus, or within a division on the campus. University funds may not be used to fund, even temporarily, personal travel. It is the traveler’s responsibility to report their actual travel expenses in a responsible and ethical manner, in accordance with policy regulations. Travel Packages purchased from internet vendors typically do not include itemized expenses; therefore, no business-related travel should be booked through such vendors unless the traveler has confirmed that each aspect of the package will be separately itemized on the receipt (e.g.: itemized hotel charges, airfare, car rental, etc.) to assure appropriate documentation for reimbursement. Approval of Post Travels Travelers may not approve their own travel expenses. Only someone with delegated authority may approve travel expenses; this delegation must be kept on file. Additionally, travel may not be approved by a person who reports either directly or indirectly to the traveler. Travel expenses for the campus Chancellor, including a spouse or equivalent individual, must be approved by the Campus Controller. Exceptions to policy must be approved by a campus senior officer. Requests for an exception must document the circumstances, and the need for it, in writing. If the ETP is approved, only actual expenses will be reimbursed. Payment of Travel University travelers may not be reimbursed for expenses they pay on behalf of others except in the case of travelers who share a hotel room. Exceptions to this rule, such as group travel, must be approved in advance. Travelers are responsible for cancelling any reservations that they will not be able to honor, and returning any refundable deposits to the University. Charges or lost refunds resulting from failure to do so will not be reimbursed unless the traveler can show that the failure to cancel was due to circumstances beyond their control. Risk Insurance University travelers, including employees, students, and fellows, are covered worldwide, 24 hours per day, for a variety of accidents and incidents while on official travel status. This coverage includes: 1) Monitoring trip locations during the travel dates, and making evacuation arrangements if cases of emergency. 2) Arranging medical transportation. 3) Providing a summary of the area prior to travel. 4) Providing an alert prior to departure if conditions at the destination could endanger the traveler. While coverage is automatic within California, whenever travel is outside of California, travelers are required to submit the UC Business Traveler Form, located at to ensure coverage. This allows them to print the confirmation of coverage, which includes information to use in an emergency while traveling either domestically or abroad. The confirmation includes the traveler’s name, UC's policy number, and the travel dates. A new confirmation is issued for each trip. If travel is booked through Connexxus, both BCD and UC Travel will submit the insurance form automatically. However, if travel is booked through Southwest (SWABIZ), the traveler must complete the risk insurance form found on the Connexxus site. Transportation General Transportation expenses shall be reimbursed based on the most economical mode of transportation and the most commonly traveled route consistent with the authorized purpose of the trip: any exception to this must be approved by the Chancellor. Tickets should be purchased in advance in order to obtain any discounts offered, or negotiated by the University. A purchase order is required for chartering transportation services. Contact the Purchasing Office,, or call their help line, 459-2311, for information on how to obtain chartered transportation services, such as buses, airplanes and boats. Air Travel Coach class should be used regardless of the purpose or the funding source of the travel whether domestic or foreign. Charges for early check-in or priority boarding are not allowed. The cost of business, first-class, or other higher-cost services, may be reimbursed under the following circumstances (documentation must be provided on the Post Travel Expense form): • Business or first-class is the only service offered between two points • The use of coach class would be more expensive or time consuming, e.g., due to scheduling difficulties, traveling by air coach would require an unnecessary hotel expense, circuitous (indirect) routing, or an unduly long layover • An itinerary involves overnight travel without an opportunity for normal rest before the commencement of working hours • The use of business or first-class travel is necessary to reasonably accommodate a disability or medical need Note: All other circumstances for upgrading to business, first-class, or higher-cost services, must be approved by the Senior Officer. Federal Contract or Grant Travel Under the Fly America Act, a U.S. flag carrier must be used if payment or reimbursement is to be made from a federal contract or grant, except under the following circumstances: • Use of U.S. carrier service would extend travel time, including delay at origin, by 24 hours or more • U.S. carriers do not offer nonstop or direct service between origin and destination. However, a U.S. carrier must be used on every portion of the route where it provides service unless, when compared to using a foreign air carrier, such use would:  Increase the number of aircraft changes outside the United States by two or more  Extend travel time by at least 6 hours or more  Require a connecting time of 4 hours or more at an overseas interchange point • When the costs of transportation are reimbursed in full by a third party, such as a foreign government or an international agency. • If a bilateral/multilateral air transportation agreement exists between the United States and the government of a foreign country. Ex: under the “Open Skies Agreement” the transportation of passengers and cargo on scheduled or charter flights funded by the U.S. government, between the U. S. and the European Union and certain other countries, may be allowed. Transportation is allowed between a point in the United States and any point in a member state or between two points outside the United States except when:  Transportation is between points for which there is a City- Pair contract fare in effect for air transportation services  Transportation is obtained or funded by the Secretary of Defense or the Secretary of a military department Travelers funded by federal contracts/grants should review the Federal Travel Regulation published by the General Services Administration on its website. Reimbursement of travel on a foreign air carrier may be denied in the absence of such justification. Transportation: Automobiles Private Vehicles: If a traveler is authorized to drive a private vehicle to a common carrier, mileage may be reimbursed for one round trip, including parking for the duration of the trip, or two round trips plus short-term parking. Mileage is generally computed between the traveler’s headquarters and the common carrier or destination. If travel originates or terminates before or after the traveler’s working hours, or on a regularly scheduled day off, mileage may be computed from the traveler’s residence and the common carrier or destination. Expenses for travel between the traveler’s residence and headquarters (commuting expenses) are not allowed. When two or more persons on University business share a private vehicle, only the driver may claim reimbursement for mileage. The reimbursement rate for mileage is $0.56 per mile. Reimbursements for fuel, routine repairs, tires, gasoline, insurance, or other automobile expenses are not allowed when a private vehicle is used; these costs are include in the mileage reimbursement rates. An employee who regularly uses a private vehicle on University business is required to have and provide upon request satisfactory evidence of liability insurance coverage. Such evidence must be provided to the appropriate office before the reimbursement of regular use mileage is allowed. Regular use is defined as more than four trips per calendar month totaling at least 300 miles. The minimum prescribed automobile liability insurance coverage is as follows:  $50,000 for personal injury to, or death of, one person  $100,000 for injury to, or death of, two or more persons in one accident  $50,000 for property damage When a private vehicle operated by an employee on official University business is damaged by collision, or sustains other accidental damage, reimbursement for repairs borne by the employee may be authorized up to $500 or the amount of the deductible (co-insurance), whichever is less. Expenses that can be recouped from insurance are not eligible for reimbursement. The amount reimbursed is based on receipts submitted by the employee to the person authorizing the travel. Approval to use a personal vehicle in lieu of air travel to the same destination must be obtained in advance. Only the lesser of the following costs will be reimbursed:  Airfare plus transportation costs to and from airport, or  Automobile mileage cost plus the cost of meals, lodging and parking while in transit. Rental Cars: Travelers should use University-contracted agencies when reserving rental cars for both cost savings, and because these agencies include insurance coverage in their rental rates. Vehicles up to an intermediate-size model should be used unless a no-cost upgrade is provided. Also, the contracts provide for refueling charges at a negotiated rate, this option may be selected to purchase fuel in advance. In areas not served by a University-contracted rental car agency, the cost of renting an economy or compact model from a non-contracted agency will be reimbursed. Reimbursements for fuel are allowable. The cost of full collision coverage for rental cars used in Alaska, Hawaii, U.S. possessions (OCONUS), and foreign countries, is allowable. Note: Hand-held or uninstalled GPS devices should not be rented unless the traveler is unfamiliar with the location of travel. Use of higher cost car upgrades with installed GPS units requires exceptional approval. Transportation: Rail / Bus Rail or bus transportation may be used when required by the destination or by business necessity. When rail or bus travel is used in lieu of air travel, only the lesser of rail fare or equivalent airfare cost to the same destination will be reimbursed Transportation: Ship When travel by passenger ship is authorized, transportation at the lowest first-class rate is allowed. The reimbursement of subsistence expenses while on board a passenger ship is not allowed if the cost of subsistence is included in the fare for passage and stateroom. If the fare does not include subsistence, reimbursement shall be based on the traveler's actual daily expenses. A full explanation of the circumstances that necessitated such expenses must be submitted with the Post Travel Form. A purchase order is required for chartering transportation services. Contact the Purchasing Office,, or call their help line, 459-2311, for information on how to obtain chartered transportation services, such as buses, airplanes and boats. Transportation: Other Motorcycles, except those of University police department employees on motorcycle assignment, shall not be authorized for use on official University business, nor shall any reimbursement be made for the use of such vehicles. No reimbursement is allowed for bicycles. Subsistence: General Subsistence expenses include charges for lodging, meals, and incidental expenses (IE). Incidental expenses include tips and fees for services. Subsistence expense incurred within the vicinity of an employee’s headquarters or residence shall not be reimbursed. The traveler must be at least forty miles from the headquarter location or home, whichever is closer, to be reimbursed for an overnight stay. For partial days, hours should be rounded to the nearest quarter hour as follows: 3 hours up to 9 hours equals 1/4 day; 9 hours up to 15 hours equals 1/2 day; 15 hours up to 21 hours equals 3/4 day; and 21 hours up to 24 hours equals 1 day. An alternative method of prorating partial days may be used provided the method is reasonable and consistently applied. Subsistence: CONUS (Continental United States) Travel Less than 24 Hours Without an overnight stay: M&IE are not reimbursable. With an overnight stay: Actual M&IE costs up to $71.00 for the entire trip, even if it extends over two consecutive days, plus actual lodging costs are reimbursable. An "overnight stay" involves obtaining substantial sleep or rest; napping or resting in a car does not constitute obtaining substantial sleep or rest. Note: A meal expense incurred in connection with a business meeting while on travel status may be reimbursable. See ‘Entertainment while on Travel Status’, page 20. CONUS: Travel less than 30 days Meals: For travel within the continental United States, actual costs for meals will be reimbursed up to a maximum of $71.00 per day. This cap may not be treated as a per diem; travelers should be required to submit meal receipts if it appears that they are treating the cap as a per diem by routinely claiming the full M&IE amount. Lodging Reimbursement for overnight lodging is only allowed if the traveler is at least 40 miles from their headquarters or home, whichever is closer. Travelers are encouraged to use UC contracted hotel agencies to obtain the most economical rate. Lodging costs must be supported by an original itemized receipt, and the cost should be reasonable for the location. Tips should be reported under Meals and Incidental Expense, other costs, such as internet service and phone calls should be reported as ‘Miscellaneous Expenses’. If the traveler stays with a friend or relative, a host gift may be provided. Only one gift per stay is allowed, and it should be a non-cash gift valued at up to $75. The original itemized receipt is required for host gifts costing more than $25. CONUS: Travel more than 30 days Actual costs up to 100% of the applicable per diem rates established by the US General Services Administration may be reimbursed for lodging and meals. It is highly recommended that a log be kept to record daily expenses. Subsistence: OCONUS (Outside Continental US) & Foreign Travel OCONUS & Foreign: Travel less than 30 days Per diem rates apply for duration of the travel up to 30 days. The Per Diem rates for non-foreign, non-contiguous U.S. areas (OCONUS) are established by the Department of Defense. Foreign per diem rates are established monthly by the US State Department Office of Allowances. NOTE: Any location not listed for per diem under a country takes the "Other" rate administered and published for that country. An unlisted suburb of a listed location takes the "Other" rate, not that of the location of which it is a suburb. OCONUS & Foreign: Travel more than 30 days Actual costs up to 100% of the applicable per diem rates may be reimbursed for lodging and meals. It is highly recommended that a log be kept to record daily expenses. For long term travel (over thirty days, but under one year), travelers are expected to find accommodations suitable to long term travelers, rather than a full service hotel. In an effort to control costs, the traveler should determine what their actual daily costs are, and submit reimbursement for that amount; however, in no case can it be more than what 100% of the per diem would be for that location as published by the U.S. State Department for foreign travel and the Defense Department for OCONUS travel. As an example, if a person adds up their daily expenses and it comes to $120 per day, that should be the per diem they claim, even if the per diem published by the State Department or Defense Department or GSA is $150 per day. Travel in Excess of One Year Under the IRS one-year rule, travel away from home that lasts more than one year in a single work location is considered indefinite. Any travel expenses reimbursed during that period must be treated as taxable income subject to withholding for income and employment taxes (i.e.: social security and Medicare). Accordingly, for an employee whose indefinite assignment requires a change of residence in order to undertake an assignment, who plans to return at the end of the assignment, and who expects to remain in a single location for more than one year, subsistence expense reimbursement shall be treated as follows: • The entire reimbursement, effective as of the first day of the traveler's assignment, shall be included in the employee's gross income subject to withholding for income and applicable employment taxes • The subsistence reimbursement must be paid through the payroll system as additional income subject to withholding • The reimbursement for such assignments shall be limited to 2 years. An exception may be granted by the Chancellor to extend the reimbursement for a longer period of time • The cost of moving the employee to and from the location of the indefinite assignment shall be reimbursed in accordance with University moving policies (refer to BFB G-13, Policy and Regulations Governing Moving and Relocation.) To compensate for additional federal and state income taxes and employment taxes owed by the employee, the reimbursement rate for subsistence expenses may be increased up to 150% of the per diem rates authorized for domestic travel. A separate calculation of the amount of the increase must be made for each employee, taking into account each employee's additional federal and state income tax liability, and liability for employment taxes. The formula provided by the IRS for grossing up payments to cover an employee's tax liability should be used to calculate the increase (see Travel Policy, Appendix C for examples based on the IRS Tax GrossUp Formula). An indefinite assignment that is interrupted by occasional trips to the employee's former residence or headquarters shall be subject to the one-year rule. Such return trips do not change the tax status of an indefinite assignment. Miscellaneous Expenses Miscellaneous expenses are reimbursable when they are ordinary and necessary to accomplish the official business purpose of a trip. The Post travel must include an explanation of what the expenses are, and why they are being claimed. Any individual miscellaneous expense costing $75.00 or more must be substantiated by a receipt. Included in these are: business office expenses such as faxing or postage, phone calls (including one reasonably brief personal call home per day), charges for checking and storing baggage, and other ordinary and necessary expenses. Also included are fees associated with foreign travel such as visa fees, costs for inoculations, traveler’s checks fees, translator or local labor fees, and collision insurance for rental cars. Reservation cancellation fees will be reimbursed only if charges are the result of circumstances beyond the traveler’s control. Costs for ticket replacement and/or changes are reimbursable if incurred for a valid business reason. Group Travel Supervised group trips (three or more travelers) must be authorized in advance. The group leader should submit a post travel form detailing the expenses paid on behalf of the group. Documentation must include the names of the persons on whose behalf expenses were incurred, an itemization of the expenses, and other pertinent supporting documentation. The University may negotiate agreements with restaurants and hotels to furnish subsistence to a group, or groups, of University employees when it is to the University's advantage. The vendor may be paid either by the group leader, or by billing the University. Group travelers may claim reimbursement as follows: • Group leaders who pay all or part of the group's expenses may be reimbursed by submitting a claim for the actual expenses incurred. The claim must be accompanied by the vendor's invoice/receipt showing payment in full. This includes meal expenses. • Members of a group who have some portion of their expenses paid by the group leader may claim reimbursement for the remainder of their expenses. • Group leaders are encouraged to use a trip log. A purchase order is needed for chartering a bus, ship, or other means of mass transportation. Transportation expenses for group travelers may be billed directly to the University. An approved Travel Advance Request with an assigned Trip Number should be approved for the group leader. Note: Restrictions on 15-Passenger Vans UC Employees and Students are restricted from renting 15-passenger vans from rental car agencies for business or class activities due to safety concerns. This is due to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) determination that 15 passenger vans are unsafe in certain circumstances, and more testing and studies are required. Faculty Member on Sabbatical Leave Travel expenses incurred by faculty members on sabbatical leave are reimbursable if the travel is undertaken to perform study or research that cannot be done elsewhere. At the discretion of the department, a faculty member may be reimbursed for additional lodging expenses incurred at the sabbatical location, less any income received by the individual for renting out his or her primary residence. Sabbatical travel expenses are not reimbursable if the travel is for a personal, recreational, or educational purpose that has no direct relationship to the individual's area of study. A faculty member who is on sabbatical leave of less than one year is considered to be temporarily away from home and therefore may be reimbursed for reasonable travel expenses incurred at the temporary location, including meals and lodging. Any sabbatical travel expenses belonging to a spouse or dependent(s) are considered taxable; therefore, such expenses are not reimbursable. Student Travel A student may be reimbursed for travel expenses when there is a direct connection between the expense and the business purposes of the University. Departments may also reimburse students for degree-related educational travel expenses, i.e.: to attend a conference, or visit a field site or laboratory facility. The business purpose of the travel must be substantiated on the Post Travel form. Travel will be considered to have a University business purpose if the travel: • Directly supports a faculty member's project or research program • Is an integral part of the student's degree work • Is required for attendance at student-oriented meetings, student government events, University athletic events by student athletes, and the like • Enables the student to attend a conference to present research findings for the University or to act in some other capacity on behalf of the University. Students receiving cash advances need to have the approval of a sponsoring principal investigator, department chair, or student advisor on the Travel Advance Request. Student athletes who participate in off-site athletic events are also subject to NCAA rules and regulations governing travel. Postdocs and Other Non-Degree Candidates Postdoctoral fellows may be reimbursed for travel expenses if there is a University business-related reason for the travel, e.g.: the individual is required to present a paper, deliver a speech or lecture, serve on a panel, etc., as an official representative of the University. The department should substantiate the University business purpose on the Post Travel form or provide other documentation, such as a copy of the meeting/conference program. Such individuals may also be reimbursed for travel related to their training, e.g.: to visit a field site or an off-campus laboratory. The department must certify that the travel directly supports faculty research or other scholarly programs. Prospective Employees The University may reimburse the actual travel expenses related to interviewing prospective employees, when such expenses are necessary to acquire key personnel for employment at the University. Advance authorization is necessary before any commitment to reimburse travel expenses is made to the prospective employee. Reimbursement of allowable expenses is not taxable if the expenses are properly substantiated. In addition, at the Chancellor's discretion, actual travel expenses may be reimbursed for spouses who accompany candidates for faculty or high-level administrative positions (including Manager and Senior Professional positions) on final interviews. Actual transportation expenses shall not exceed one round-trip coach airfare between the prospective employee's current residence and the interview location for each round of interviews. Subsistence and non-personal miscellaneous expenses also may be reimbursed. Transportation and lodging expenses for such individuals may be paid directly by the University. For more information regarding moving for new employees, see Financial Affairs ‘Relocation and Moving Guides’ located at: Conferences and Workshops – UCSC Hosted The campus division hosting the event is responsible for determining the conference and workshop expenses that will be paid directly by UCSC and those expenses that will be paid by the conference or workshop attendees: • Attendees from other UC campuses are expected to make their own travel arrangements. • Meeting rooms and catering are arranged with the use of a UCSC purchase order. Use account code 008350 for meeting room rental expenses and 001270 for catering expenses. • The following payment guidelines apply to UCSC-hosted conferences and workshops:  For events charged to contract and grant funds, see: Participant Support Guidelines  For events charged to non-contract and grant funds, see: Funded Activities Guidelines Spousal Travel The travel expenses of a spouse (or equivalent) who accompanies a University business traveler (e.g.: the President, Provost, Senior Vice President, Vice Presidents, Chancellors, Laboratory Directors, Principal Officers of The Regents, or other employees as approved by the Chancellor) are reimbursable provided it can be established that the spouse's presence serves a bona fide University business purpose. Under IRS regulations, the travel expenses of a spouse are not taxable, if it can be established that his or her presence serves a bona fide business purpose. A spouse who attends a function is considered to have a business purpose if he or she has a significant role in the proceedings or makes an important contribution to the success of an event. Generally, protocol or tradition dictates when the participation of a high-level official's spouse is required at official University functions, such as alumni gatherings, fund-raising, or ceremonial activities, certain athletic events, and community events. Documentation should be provided with the Post Travel form to show that the spouse's attendance at the function meets the above conditions (e.g.: an event or meeting agenda, or a letter of invitation requesting that the spouse attend the meeting or event). If a spouse has no significant role in the proceedings, or performs only incidental duties of a social or clerical nature, attendance does not constitute a bona fide business purpose. Such expenses are taxable to the employee and therefore may not be reimbursed under this policy. In accordance with the Policy on Associate of the President/Chancellor, an Associate may be reimbursed for expenses related to the use of a personal automobile for University business purposes at the basic mileage rate. Spousal travel expenses may not be charged to state funds. Contract and grant funds may only be used to reimburse spousal travel if the special provisions of the contract or grant are satisfied. Independent Contractors/Consultants Reasonable travel expenses incurred by University-retained independent contractors or consultants are reimbursable, subject to the same rates and restrictions as for University employees. Such reimbursements are not taxable, provided the amounts claimed are properly substantiated. Unsubstantiated amounts must be reported as income. It is not appropriate for the University to prepay travel expenses for the vendor, nor is it appropriate to prepare a Post Travel form for reimbursement of travel expenses incurred. The purchase order and business contract should indicate if travel costs are included in the vendor's fee for services. If travel is not part of the vendor's fee, then the purchase order should include a separate line item for reimbursable travel expenses. The vendor must be informed of University travel policy, allowances, and required receipts. The vendor should include reimbursable costs, if allowed, on the invoice submitted for payment. Original receipts as required by campus travel policy should support all reimbursable costs. If a consultant or independent contractor cannot submit original receipts for reasons related to their own business, then a note to that effect should be included on their invoice. Foreign Visitors A nonresident alien is a non-U.S. citizen who does not hold a Resident Alien Card. Most foreign visitors are issued a visa allowing entry into the U.S. Normally, we need a photo copy of the I-94 issued to the traveler when they enter the United States. Canadian and Mexican visitors may enter with a Border Crossing card (and no visa); if so, they will be treated the same as B-2 or WT visitors. Visa Waiver Program visitors are allowed entry without a visa, and may be given WB or WT classification when they enter the US. If they are participating in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), they may not obtain an I-94 before entry. Instead they will have applied for, and received authorization from the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA). If this is the case, a copy of the ESTA confirmation is needed. Payments made to a foreign visitor, or on behalf of a foreign visitor, must be in accordance with allowable expenses for the traveler’s visa type. An individual with a Resident Alien Card is treated the same as a US citizen. Include a copy of the Resident Alien Card with the 204 form. Forms and documentation for Foreign Visitors Note the classification or visa type on the Travel Advance Request and/or the Post Travel Form. The visitor must sign the Post Travel Form. In order to process travel payments, either to, or on behalf of, foreign visitors, copies of the following must be supplied with the payment request: • Verify the visa type is appropriate for travel. Travel reimbursements are not allowed for all visa types. Check the Foreign National Visitors page on the Financial Affairs website for more information, this is located at: • Make required copies of the passport photo, and I-94 (or the ESTA confirmation for Visa Waiver travelers if applicable). • All B-1, B-2, WB, WT, and ESTA travelers must complete a Certification of Academic Activity form • Visitors from Canada & Mexico who enter the U.S. without an I-94, must provide a copy of their passport, or equivalent travel documentation plus complete a Certification of Academic Activity form • 204 form: Payment Data Record - Required from all individuals that directly receive a payment or have UCSC make a payment on their behalf. Once a vendor number has been assigned, this will not be needed again unless the visitor’s status changes. • I-94: The US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), formerly known as the INS, issue Arrival/Departure Record at the Port-of-Entry. This will be turned back into Customs when the visitor leaves, so we need a photo of the form while the traveler is here. An unexpired EAD card may be used in place of this. If the traveler did not receive an I-94, a copy of their ESTA confirmation is needed. Note: These forms are for travel only. Foreign Visitors receiving compensation type payments must be entered into the Glacier system. Glacier will determine what additional documentation is required, and if Federal or California State income taxes need to be withheld. Reporting Expenses Reporting Period A Post Travel Expense Form must be submitted to the campus accounting office within 60 days of the end of a trip. For recurring local travel costs, reporting may be aggregated and submitted monthly. For trips lasting 90 days or more, the traveler must submit a quarterly (every 3 months) report of expenditures. Travelers must sign the post travel form certifying that all expenses claimed are true and incurred on University business. Reporting Requirements • Date and time of departure from and return to the traveler’s headquarters or residence • Origin and destination of the trip and the route taken:  Travel within a local area should be indicated  Continuous travel between major points (such as city to city) should be shown separately  Deviations from mileage reported to standard mileage gauges must be explained • Purpose for the travel • Amount of each expense by date and location Required Receipts – Original & Itemized All airline expenses All Rental car expenses Lodging Hotel folio required Local Transportation Taxi, airporter, etc., costing $75.00 or more per instance Miscellaneous Miscellaneous or extraordinary items costing $75.00 or more Gift to Host If cost is $25.00 or more (policy allows for one gift per stay not to exceed $75.00). Conference Registration Fees: Agenda, itemized receipt, or other supporting documentation Electronic receipts are acceptable if the detail is equivalent to the level of detail contained in an acceptable paper record. Photocopies of receipts are not acceptable. The traveler is responsible for providing documentation with sufficient detail to substantiate the costs incurred. Missing Required Receipts A statement should be provided by the traveler explaining why the receipt is not available. The statement must include a certification that the amount shown is the amount actually paid and that the traveler has not and will not seek reimbursement from any other source. This should be submitted to, and approved by, the traveler’s Senior Officer. Entertainment while on Travel Status These expenses should be reported on the Entertainment Reimbursement Form in order to capture the necessary information and approvals. Submit the form as back-up documentation with the Post Travel form, listing the cost under ‘Miscellaneous’. The original, itemized receipt is required. Cash Advances Cash advances may be requested for employees or students travelling on official University business. The traveler must sign the TAR, certifying that they have read the terms. Due to administrative costs and to be conservative with University funds, cash advance requests for less than $100 will generally not be granted without an explanation of the necessity. Advances are not allowed for UCSC Travel & Entertainment card-holders since they have the ability to obtain a cash advance with the card. In order to meet IRS regulations, and campus cash management objectives, advances will only be issued within 30 days of an expense being incurred, or when travel begins. The amount requested must be a reasonable estimate of the out-of-pocket expenses needed for the trip, as detailed on the Travel Advance Request form. Cash advances will not be authorized if the traveler is delinquent in reporting on a prior trip. If the trip is cancelled or postponed, the amount advanced must be returned immediately. If an employee fails to substantiate expenses, and return any unused cash advance amount within 120 days of the end of a trip, the University is obligated under IRS regulations to consider the amount as income to the employee and report these to the payroll office as additional wages, no later than the first payroll period following the end of the 120 day period. Any additional taxes on the additional wages will be withheld from the employee’s gross earnings. Students who are delinquent in substantiating expenses for a cash advance will be reported to Student Business Services, and may not be able to register for classes until the amount has been recovered. If the amount advanced exceeds reimbursable expenses, payment should be submitted with the Post Travel. Checks must be payable to “UC Regents”. UCSC Corporate Travel & Entertainment Card Full time, career employees may request a corporate card for their University related travel and entertainment expenses. The cardholder will be billed directly for all expenses charged to the card, and is personally responsible for paying all charges in a timely manner. The cardholder is reimbursed for expenses by completing the appropriate reimbursement form (post travel, entertainment, or direct pay) and submitting to their divisional or departmental office. All UCSC Travel and Entertainment policy and procedures apply. The University will not reimburse late fee charges on the account, and payment delinquencies will result in collection action by the issuing bank against the card-holder. Cash advances may be obtained at an ATM or bank teller. (There is a 2.5% or minimum of $2.00 fee for each cash advance, which can be reimbursed to the traveler when the Post Travel form is completed.) The card is only valid while the individual is employed by the University. Advantages: • Eliminates the need for processing travel cash advances (cash is available through an ATM). Card has cash limit, but may be increased upon request • Unlimited business travel & entertainment activity with no annual fee • Can be used for airfare, registration fees, lodging, transportation, and cash • Insurance Coverage and Assistance (certain restrictions apply) -- Common carrier insurance, lost luggage assistance, and primary auto rental insurance • 24-Hour Customer Service (1-800-344-5696) -- Available to report a lost or stolen card, account information, and billing questions • Visa Assistance Center (1-800-VISA-911) -- Assistance with emergency cash/card replacement, medical/legal referrals, and claim processing • Charging business related travel expenses on the UCSC Visa Corporate Travel card keeps the travelers available balance on their personal credit card open for any personal emergencies that might arise. • Travelers have all their UCSC business travel and entertainment activity captured on one statement making it easier to track expenses and easier to submit a post travel reimbursement form Connexxus Connexxus is UC’s secure Web portal for booking university business travel. It links to booking options, agent contact information, and guidance for choosing the best option for your travel situations. By booking travel through Connexxus, UC-negotiated prices with airlines, hotels, and car rental companies are automatically applied. The traveler must first establish a profile in Connexxus to book university business travel. While in the profile screen, the traveler may select a travel administrator who will then be allowed to book travel for them, or if allowed, access the traveler’s profile when needed. In order to access Connexxus, a valid UCSC CruzID Gold Password is required. To obtain this, see the “First Time Connexxus User Guide located at: Contact for questions regarding the Connexxus program.   Account Code Description 004100 Conference Registration fee (non-federally funded) 004300 General business: within or with a California destination (non-federally funded) 004320 Conference: destination held within California 004350 Student travel related costs such as lodging and van rental 004360 Lodging, meals, vehicle rental and other costs in connection with pre-college student outreach related travel for University business 004400 General business: domestic, outside of California, non-federally funded 004420 Conference: destination outside of California, domestic 004460 Foreign: non-federally funded CG4100 Conference Registration fees, domestic CG4310 General business: within or with a California destination – federally funded CG4410 General business: domestic, outside of California – federally funded CG4470 Foreign: federally funded CG4480 Conference Registration fees, foreign Note: CGxxxx: use only with contract and/or grant funding