Effective Date: 
Sat, 12/04/2004
Tue, 08/23/2011
Fri, 08/26/2011

Nurses may initiate or assist students in receiving help from the DRC for temporary disabilities by documenting information noted below for the student to take to DRC. In the event of questions or serious mobility issues, the nurse should call and discuss with DRC prior to sending student there. Students with permanent disabilities usually have already been in contact with DRC and will have to provide documentation of prior medical evaluation.

Disability Resource Center (DRC) Requests

  • Is the disability already documented in the medical record? If not:
  • Nurse may offer student assistance on obtaining records or give student information on what their personal physician can do to provide the appropriate documentation to DRC as outlined below.
  • Refer the student to the DRC website for information on "How to Request an Accommodation"
  • Obtain medical records release.
  • Determine if the request can wait for documentation (pain, exacerbation of symptoms, failure in classes).

Interview the student and review the medical record to determine:

  • The nature of the disability.
  • The expected duration of the disability. If unknown, consult with DOC.
  • The type of accommodation /assistance requested such as note taker. If the request does not seem clear and reasonable, consult with the DOC or, if condition warrants and student agrees, refer to Appointments for follow up with a clinician.

Students with concerns about ADHD are given our information sheet . They may contact DRC for preliminary testing, but will eventually need to be referred off campus for complete evaluation and treatment options.

Consult the DRC "Guidelines for Documentation".  Provide the required information on SHC : Nature of the disability, expected duration of disability. Fax the letter to DRC @ 9-5064. Give a copy to the student and maintain a copy in the medical record.