OUTSIDE ORDERS FOR LABORATORY
- Patient presents to the Laboratory with an outside order. The order must include the following: Patient name, date of birth, diagnosis, test/s, providers first and last name and fax number. Note: patients new to the SHC will have their current demographic and insurance information verified
- If any of the above information is missing the providers office must be contacted to obtain the necessary information.
- Laboratory staff enters order into PnC under the medical director, unless otherwise specified
- Add the comment "Please fax results to John Doe, MD @ 555-555-5555
- Laboratory staff place a patient label on the original order, a copy is made and filed in the Outside MD order file. Original is then sent to Medical Records for scanning into the patients EMR.
- If the specimen was sent to the Reference Lab, the results will be faxed by lab staff from Quest 360 to the outside ordering clinician.
- Add the test "FAX" so that faxing status can be documented when completed.
- If the specimen was in-house, then the results are faxed to the outside ordering clinician by Laboratory staff
- Note: Future orders - change the date to the following Saturday so that the order does not appear in the daily queue
- Note: Standing orders - for standing orders place next periods order as a future order for the correct date after accessioning the current order. Standing orders can be seen in the scanned documents section if future orders have not been placed.