PATIENT RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The Student Health Center respects patient rights including the right to privacy, the right to be treated with respect, consideration and dignity, the right to confidentiality of health care information, the right to be provided with complete information, the right to participate in health care decision-making including the right to consent to or refuse treatment, the right to select a health care provider whenever possible. Patients have the right to change health care providers by scheduling with a different provider. Patients have the right to information regarding Advance Care Directives.
- Patients have the right to know the names, titles, and qualifications of staff members serving them.
- Patients have the right to information about Student Health Center operations and services including hours of service and fees and payment policies.
- Patients have the right to accurate and honest Student Health Center marketing materials.
- Patients have the right to be informed about procedures for giving feedback on services including how to make a suggestion and how to make a formal complaint.
- Patients have the right to refuse to participate in experimental research.
- The Student Health Center expects patients to responsibly participate as active members of their health care team, ask questions in order to understand and follow health care advise and medical instructions, respect the policies of the clinic, and provide notice if unable to keep a scheduled appointment.
- All Student Health Center staff members are responsible for respecting patient rights and supporting patients in meeting their responsibilities.
- Student Health Center Form HC 810 Patient Rights and Responsibilities is posted in all SHS lobbies, as well as on on the Student Health Center website.
- Patient care is provided in designated areas designed for visual and auditory privacy. The Student Health Center Privacy Notice for management of protected health information (PHI) is specifically available to all patients upon check in and on the website, and is covered in detail in the Privacy Practices policy.
- All on duty Student Health Center staff members wear photo nametags including name and title. A list of career staff, including name and title, is posted on the Student Health Center website. In accordance with state regulations a listing of all doctors and midlevel providers is posted in the waiting areas.
- Information about Student Health Center operations including hours of service, provision for after-hours care and fees and payment policies are posted in the Student Health Center, on the website and distributed in patient mailings and handouts as applicable.
- Marketing and advertising practices are designed for accuracy and honesty. See Marketing, Advertising and Patient Education policy for details.
- Information about how to communicate regarding: compliments, suggestions or concerns about Student Health Center services is included in the posted Rights and Responsibilities. Quick Comment forms are available in the lobbies; patient satisfaction surveys are conducted regularly and results shared with staff; opportunity for patient feedback is available on the Student Health Center website. See Quick Comment and Patient Satisfaction Survey policies for more information.
- Any patient wishing to communicate directly with Administration regarding compliments, suggestions or concerns may see the Executive Director, Medical Director or designated manager by requesting an appointment. Contact information is available on the posted Patient Rights and Responsibilities and on the website. Staff members faced with a patient complaint or problem may contact the Executive Director or Medical Director at any time.